The Actuarial Science First-Year Learning Community (FLC) is for students interested in studying Actuarial Science. Along with learning the fundamental FLC curriculum, the Actuarial Science FLC will provide you with the opportunity to learn about the exam processes for Actuaries, Excel functions that are industry standards (e.g. vlookup, pivot table) and visit the Rotman Commerce Finance Lab.
If you are accepted into the Actuarial Science FLC, you will be automatically enrolled into the same first-year courses (and accompanying labs and tutorials) as the other members of your FLC. These courses form a part of the Actuarial Science program:
|ECO101H1-F: Principles of Microeconomics||MAT137Y1-Y: Calculus 1|
|ECO102H1-S: Principles of Macroeconomics||STA130H1-F: An Introduction to Statistical Resasoning and Data Science|
|Actuarial Science FLC: Fridays, 2:00-3:30 p.m.|
* You may opt to take a higher level math course such as MAT157Y1, instead of MAT137Y1. You may choose to additionally take MAT223H1. If this is the case, it will be your responsibility to enrol yourself in MAT157Y1 and MAT223H1. Please consult with your College Registrar's Office if you have questions about the two courses .
For the first two weeks of class, you will meet in your FLC during the scheduled meeting time (Fridays 2:00 to 3:30 p.m.). After this initial period, your FLC will move to a bi-weekly schedule. Your FLC will meet 13 times over the course of the academic year. To receive the FLC notation on your transcript, you will need to attend 10 of the 13 FLC sessions.
In Arts & Science know things are evolving and with that in mind we’re planning for a flexible approach that will provide students with choices to learn in-person or online. We hope to be able to provide you with a timetable for your FLC-related courses in mid- to late-June. You can view descriptions of the FLC-related courses you will be enrolled in under the “Overview” section.
*A reminder: you may opt to take MAT157Y1 instead of MAT137Y1. If this is the case, it will be your responsibility to enrol yourself in MAT157Y1 and un-enrol yourself from MAT137Y1. Please consult with your College Registrar's Office if you have questions about these two courses .
If you are admitted to the FLC program before 23 July 2020, you will be automatically enrolled into the schedule below. If you are admitted after 23 July 2020, you will only be enrolled into the FLC section and you are responsible for enrolling yourself in the other courses outlined below.
If you are unable to access this material due to an accessibility issue, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First-year students in the Faculty of Arts & Science who have been admitted to the Physical & Mathematical Sciences admission category on the St George Campus.
- The Actuarial Science FLC is open to first-year students living off-campus and students living in a university residence.
- Registration & Notification: Apply to FLC before the deadline of Monday 13 July 2020 at 9:00 a.m. You will receive notification if you have been accepted to the program by Friday 17 July 2020.
- Enrolment: Before Thursday 23 July 2020, students admitted to the Actuarial Science FLC will be automatically enrolled into the core courses outlined above and their FLC session.
- Your Other Courses: Starting on Thursday 23 July 2020, you will begin enrolling into other first-year courses at your scheduled course enrolment time.