The Humanities First-Year Learning Community is for students academically interested in the Humanities. Along with learning the fundamental FLC curriculum, the Humanities FLC will provide you with the opportunities to tour museums and archives, think about different approaches to research and learn strategies to navigate the University of Toronto’s Libraries. You will also have the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with professors, upper-year students and alumni from the Humanities.
When applying to the Humanities FLC, you will be asked to select two of the three following Humanities courses. Along with the Humanities FLC, these will be the two courses you will be automatically enrolled in if you are accepted into the Humanities FLC. They will also be the same first-year courses (and accompanying labs and tutorials) as the other members of your FLC. These courses form a part of the Humanities program:
|HIS103Y1Y– Statecraft and Strategy: An Introduction to the History of International Relations||ENG140Y1Y- Literature for Our Time|
|PHL100Y1Y— Introduction to Philosophy||Humanities FLC: Tuesdays 2:00-3:30 p.m.|
For the first two weeks of class, you will meet in your FLC during the scheduled meeting time (Tuesdays 2:00 to 3:30 p.m.). After this initial period, your FLC will move to a bi-weekly schedule. Your FLC will meet 13 times over the course of the academic year. To receive the FLC notation on your transcript, you will need to attend 10 of the 13 FLC sessions.
You will be enrolled in two of the three below courses depending on the selections you make in your application:
Your Fall/Winter Timetable:
If you are admitted to the FLC program before 25 July, you will be automatically enrolled into the schedule above. If you are admitted after 25 July, you will only be enrolled into the FLC section and you are responsible for enrolling yourself in the other courses outlined below.
- First-year students in the Faculty of Arts & Science who have been admitted to the Humanities admission category on the St. George Campus.
- The Humanities FLCs are open to first-year students living off-campus and students living in a university residence.
- Registration & Notification: Apply to FLC before the deadline of Friday 12 July 2019. You will receive notification if you have been accepted to the program by Friday 19 July 2019.
- Enrolment: Before 25 July 2019, students admitted to the Humanities FLC will be automatically enrolled into the core courses outlined above and their FLC session.
- Your Other Courses: Starting on 25 July 2019, you will begin enrolling into other first-year courses at your scheduled course enrollment time (which can be viewed on 19 July 2019).